Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Innnnteresting. Yesterday was dubbed me and Godwin's Big Day Out, haha. This will be a link-heavy post :P

We headed downtown in the afternoon to pick up a ticket for me for the 30 Seconds to Mars show from Rotate This. The dude in the store couldn't find any tickets left at first and me and Godwin were like, aww...so close! Cuz he already had a ticket from before cuz he's a crazy fan (but not apparently not that big of a fan cuz I was the one who told him they were on sale, ha) so he wanted me to come too but they were sold out on Ticketmaster so I tried the Rotate site and it said they weren't sold out yet so I figured I'd trek down there to pick one up and that was the longest run-on sentence ever. Then we were about to leave and the guy's like, oh here they are! They were hidin...sorry for scarin you, haha. Score. So I'm gonna see sexy Jared Leto next month in concert. I've loved him since "My So-Called Life", only the best '90s hs teen angst TV show ever, haha. I was protestin to Godwin before that I hadn't even heard any of 30STM's music except for their awesome song "Attack" but he reeled me in. It's just weird to go into a band's show without knowin any of their material. But I don't really care in this case cuz seein and takin pictures of Jared will be worth it alone, haha. And only $18! Take that, stupid Ticketmaster...don't hafta pay your stinkin service/convenience charges! I support local record stores who only charge $1.50 extra!

Then we made our way to Steve's Music Store (equipment headquarters for bands) cuz Godwin plays and is into his rock instruments. I was surrounded by guitars and amps and all these other things I don't even know what their purpose is. I was like in over my head...the hipster employees could probably get that straight off me, haha.

Anyway, so we got that stuff done then walked to the Eaton Centre for some potential shopping. We browsed but didn't buy anythin. Which was probably good cuz I honestly don't know where we'd put our shopping bags after (we were goin to a show later). We had parked at Fairview Mall then subwayed it down, hence the walkin all over downtown. Oh yeah, Godwin was somewhat harrassed by a (crazy?) homeless person who thought me and him were together, haha. Winnie's like, aww...he thinks you're my woman, haha.

After the Eaton Centre, we went to Jack Astor's for dinner cuz Godwin has an insane obsession/addiction to their Raspberry Twister creation. We were so hungry even tho we had gotten some McDonald's for a "snack" and were eatin chunks of Toblerone too, haha. Eeeeeeatingggggg! Then we had shots and beer before bouncin.
So the main thing of the night was "Bookie's Nu Music Nite" which is a free showcase of local bands every Tuesdays by Edge 102 held at The Horseshoe Tavern. Godwin was originally goin with some friends of his but convinced me to come too since we were already downtown. He's gettin me into his alt-rock scene and goin to these classic live music venues that I would never otherwise go to (like The Opera House for 30STM). They were playin 30STM on the speakers before the bands came on...it's a sign ;)

We met up with a couple of his friends, Matt and Peter (who I've met before). The big draw for goin was that Godwin's favourite local band Lye was playin. I'll admit I was goin on looks alone cuz I was like, OMG they look kinda scary, what're you gettin me into? Haha. But I was open to hearin their music so I was down with experiencin their show. Then he was tryin to freak me out by tellin me about how I was gonna get killed in a mosh or get busted up by fat goth chicks and the singer would be screamin "deaaaaaath!" growls, haha.

They were actually not bad. I'm not into that kinda music at all but it was a good show. The lead singer Brett seems like one of those ppl who are intimidating and goth-y but are like friendly and "normal" when he's not on stage, screechin, haha. They all seemed pretty cool tho, from when they stopped and talked to the crowd a few times between songs. It was Brett's bday at midnight...there was singin and fake money thrown. He's definitely got the rock thing down. He got into ppl's face during songs like so close they could've been kissin, haha. He was grabbin heads and messin ppl's hair and walked into the crowd, even goin all the way to the back where the bar was with a guy tryin to keep up with him untangling the mic cord, haha. The crazy bastard sprayed beer into the crowd and I didn't get any on me then but he threw water later on too and that got me all over my arm. I was like, noooooo! My cameraaaaa! And I got some Brett sweat whipped on me, haha. I have some badass pictures cuz we were like 2nd row. I was just hopin the singer wouldn't touch me or get in my face with the mic to scream along with him, haha...esp since I know NONE of the words to any of the songs!

I think Godwin was very excited. He got their CDs from the merch booth and got them signed and met a couple of the members. Their bass player's a girl and I gotta say, that's pretty fuckin hot, haha. I have a lot of respect for ppl who can play. She has wicked hair!

Before Lye came on, there was another band whose music was the kind of stuff they'd feature on "The O.C." Very decent tho. I found out near the end of their set that they were Pilate, who were a surprise act. I thought I recognized one of their songs! They're kinda big in Canada for an indie band. The singer's voice live sounds better than a CD.

Cool night. I am NOT missin work at all! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home